As Monday, August 22, 2016, the Wisconsin fall wild turkey drawing is complete. Turkey hunters must check their turkey permit status online; www.GoWild.wi.gov. At least that is the message on Go Wild, however, on the WDNR traditional website it still says-
Successful applicants will be notified by mail the week of August 22, 2016
Last week, when I inquired about the fall turkey permits via phone, the DNR representative told me the usual postcard would be mailed to hunters the week of August 22. Being a fellow who feels a sense of completeness when his license is in hand checked the new Go Wild site on Monday and found my turkey license waiting for me to print.
Where to find and buy a Wisconsin fall turkey license
- After logging in at Go Wild and confirming your personal information, you will see your home page.
- Select “Buy License.” Then the WDNR product catalog will appear.
- Under the featured or Hunt/Trap tab “Awarded Fall Turkey Tag” line appears, select to bring up the Awarded Fall Turkey Tag screen.
- The drawn tag is included with the purchase a fall turkey license at this time.
- Conservation Patron license holders have the fall turkey license included.
Now don’t forget-
- Remaining permits will go on sale beginning Saturday, August 27 at 10 a.m. Leftover permits will be issued on a one per-day basis.
- Permits are $5.00 for 10 and 11 year olds, $10.00 for residents, and $15.00 for nonresidents.
- One per day per customer, until they are sold out.
Please note that at the time you purchase your permit you will be required to purchase a fall turkey license. If you did not purchase a spring turkey license, you will also need to purchase a Wild Turkey Stamp.
Go here to review the leftover permits.
As usual, an internal review is being conducted to make sure the drawing was accurate. The leftover turkey permits will be posted soon.
Update 9:20 pm August 23: The leftover permits are posted. Here’s the chart of available over the counter turkey permits.
WDNR – Permit Availability
Best of luck turkey hunting and above all else have fun, enjoyable hunt.
Update August 24, 2016, WDNR mailed drawing notification postcards. The cost of this mailing is about $17,789 including postage and the cost of printing the card and hunters still have to go online to buy their turkey license. The game fund is operating in deficit; Why did they waste our money on this expense?