Yes it is true Wisconsin has available more turkey permits than they sell each year in units 1,3 and 4. However, in the other units; 2,5,6 and 7 turkey permits are available to those who enter the drawing, sometimes there are no or very few permits available for over the counter sales. The application deadline is August 1 and you may apply online, phone or in person at a license agent.
I posted details on all fall appllication deadlines here
Wisconsin 2014 Fall turkey
- 96,700 wild turkey permits are expected to be available to hunters for the fall 2014 turkey hunting season same number of permits that were offered in 2013.
- Please note that this number is preliminary and may be revised following review.
- Any fall turkey permits remaining after the initial drawing will go on sale at 10 a.m. on Aug. 23.
- Leftover fall turkey permits will be sold by zone until sold out or the season ends. Hunters who receive fall turkey permits in Zones 1-5 will be able to fill their unused permits during the extended season in the zone where the permits were issued.
Application Deadline is August 1, 2014
Wisconsin Fall Turkey 2014 Season Dates
- Sept. 13 to Nov. 20 for all seven of Wisconsin’s turkey management zones; and an extended fall turkey season for Zones 1-5 from Dec. 1 to Dec. 31.
Wisconsin has one the longest most liberal fall turkey seasons in the country. Make plans to give it a try.